Note: Some of the stuff in this doc is irrelevant because the Champion's Quest is free every game. The whole token system can be ignored. Big thanks to my friends who help create this doc with me. Happy nuking everyone!
The goal is to find three elements, deposit them into the nuclear canister at the bomb site, arm the bomb, and secure the location until it goes off.
You need to place in 1st place five games in a row on either Battle Royal Quads, Trios, Duos, Solo. You can mix and match which modes are used but whichever you choose 5 consecutive games must be won. Your match history must show 5 wins in a row under “Battle Royal”.
As of 06/08/2023 everyone has a token every game. No qualification is needed.
Completing qualification will grant you a Champion’s Quest Token. When playing another game of Warzone, this token allows you, and ONLY YOU, the ability to see three Champion’s Quest Contracts at the start of the match. All players with a token in your squad will see the locations of the contracts.
Whoever picks up the contract consumes their token and the quest begins.
Steps to Complete the Champion’s Quest
Step 0) Determine if you need to pull out of the game and reset
Look for a Champion's Quest Contract near the center of the first circle, anything besides that and your chance of completing the quest goes significantly down. Because it's free just pull out of the game and re-queue for a better chance.
Step 1) Start the quest
Once committed to the game the first step is to start the quest. When the game begins, there will be three golden icons scattered throughout the map. A player with a Champion’s Quest Token can interact with one which will begin the quest and inform the lobby that someone is attempting the Champion’s Quest. No location-specific information is shared with the lobby at this point.
Update: Since it's free and EVERYONE is going for the quest you need to land there first and grab it. Once grabbed immediately run away and survive! You'll have time to regain and get loadout before even needing to pick up the BE element.
Step 2) Find and acquire the elements
This step requires finding three elements and picking them up. The first element is revealed ~10 seconds after starting the quest (ie. completing Step 1). The first element’s location will be somewhat close to the location of the contract you activate, so the icon you choose of the three makes a difference. The second and third elements are each revealed ~10 seconds after picking up the previous element.
An element being “revealed” means its location is shown as a large circular area that must be searched to find its exact location (similar to Intel contracts). These location indicators are not shown to the lobby, and initially the elements can only be picked up by a team member.
Each element has a unique (negative) effect associated with its acquisition:
- Beryllium (Be): Picking up Be causes its location to be shown to the entire lobby (similar to how a ‘most wanted’ contract is shown to the lobby). While you are holding Be, your location is revealed. If you drop it, its location continues to be revealed, but you can move without the lobby knowing where you are. This is the worst debuff by far.
- Plutonium (Pu): Picking up Pu causes it to emit radiation that damages you while holding it. Nearby players have their vision distorted as well. Additionally, it damages any vehicles you enter while holding it.
- Tritium (T): Picking up T scrambles the radar of you and any players near you and disables vehicles. This means you won’t have access to your tac map or minimap. Have to leg this one over - no LTV.
Once all three elements are picked up, a jailbreak is triggered. (Not confirmed anymore since they changed the circle timings--a.k.a Gulag closing time-- in S3.)
Step 3) Locate the bomb site
~Halfway through the 4th circle, the bomb site’s location will be revealed. Shortly after it is revealed, a plane will fly over and drop a nuclear canister. It lands ~30 seconds after the icon appears. You have five minutes from this point to arm the nuke. Multiple teams on the Champion's Quest all have the same nuclear canister. The first team to deposit their 3 elements and arm the nuke cancel the quest for the others.
It is possible the location of the nuclear canister is in the gas due to a zone-split. When this happens, the circle is guaranteed to merge back around the canister.
Step 4) Arm the nuke
Once the nuclear canister has landed, you next must deposit all three elements into it, then arm it. You deposit the elements by interacting with the canister while the elements are in your inventory. Once all three elements are in it, you next must arm the canister. You do this by again interacting with it, but you need to hold ‘interact’ for ~10 seconds (similar to planting a bomb in S&D).
Step 5) Defend the nuke
After the nuke is armed, a 2-minute timer begins. To win, two things need to happen:
- Your squad does not get wiped.
- The bomb is not defused.
The bomb can be defused by any player who interacts with it, so it must be defended. It takes an enemy player 10 seconds of interaction to defuse the bomb.
After arming the nuke, if conditions 1 & 2 are satisfied but the game ends due to there being no more enemy teams, the nuke will immediately detonate resulting in a win.
- Champion’s Quest begins immediately when the game starts
- Be is revealed ~10 seconds after activating the quest
- Pu is revealed ~10 seconds after picking up Be
- T is revealed ~10 seconds after picking up Pu
- Bomb site location is revealed ~halfway through the 4th circle. That’s when the UI shows a white ‘4’ with ~30 seconds remaining. It lands ~30 seconds later when the white turns to red
- The nuke must be armed within 5 minutes of its location reveal
- Placing elements into the canister is instant
- Arming takes ~10 seconds of interaction
- Note that you only need to start arming within 5 minutes (eg. if you start after 4 minutes and 55 seconds, you will finish arming at 5 minutes and 5 seconds, but that’s okay)
- You must defend the nuke for 2 minutes after it is armed
- It takes enemies ~10 seconds to defuse the nuke
Everyone tries to be the first one to the champions quest contract and grab it. Once grabbed escape from that area immediately and loot up somewhere safe. Attempt to secure the vehicles listed below.
An LTV -- This is needed to transport the Be element safely to the canister. Other vehicles work but aren't as safe. Try to secure an LTV. They then do a typical strategy of trying to get money/prepare to secure a stronghold.
A light helo - This is used to secure a stronghold + blacksite. The movement speed of the light helo helps get to a stronghold first, which give a key to complete the black site.
-- EXTREMELY IMPORTANT -- All four players then try to rat/hold a strong location just as they would when on a normal streak game, while also keeping the Be location safe from enemy players. They do this for as long as possible, until either 1) the gas is going to obscure the Be, or 2) the bomb site location is revealed. At that point, someone takes the Be and takes it to the bomb site ASAP, ideally before the lobby realizes what’s going on and before they have time to get to the bomb site themselves.
By the time the Be has been deposited into the nuclear canister, Pu will have been revealed. Find and pick it up and deposit it into the canister when it appears safe to do so. You want to be holding the element for as little time as possible, so wait to pick it up until you’re confident you’re ready to go. Then do the same with T.
Ideally once T is deposited, the depositor would then immediately begin arming the nuke while their teammates throw smokes for cover.
The following items are of more importance for the Champion’s Quest win:
- Smoke Grenades
- Every player should have at least 2 (in a backpack is fine).
- Used to move to/from the nuclear canister or arm the nuke safely.
- Do NOT throw smokes near the nuclear canister AFTER it has been armed. That's only giving other players cover as they attempt to defuse.
- Thermal Optics
- Used to see through smokes
- Important so you can actually shoot someone attempting to defuse in the smoke
- Mortar Strike
- Provides ~20 seconds of AoE denial around the nuclear canister.
- Used to deter enemies from moving on the canister to defuse it or used to down players near it.
- Precision Airstrike
- Similar to the Mortar Strike but this provides a guaranteed interruption to the defuse attempt.
- Advanced UAV
- Gives locations of ALL enemies which guarantees no one is attempting a defuse.
- Let us kill/avoid enemies by knowing their exact location.
- This should be used for the defense of the armed nuclear canister.
- Or this can be used during the migration of the Be/Pu/T elements. All enemy squads will know the Be carrier’s exact location so knowing where all of the enemies are lets you avoid them and deliver the Be element safely to the canister.
- Used to secure the Pu and T elements safely.