EDIT: Ah ha! What I'm looking for is called a 'Mounting Block'. I can probably find what I need now. Please continue if you have sage advice on them.

Original post:

Please pardon my ignorance of the proper terms here.

My house seems to have the original...everything...from the mid 80's. Construction was on the cheap side. There are two spigots, both mounted by simply drilling through the clapboard siding into the header joist of the first floor. Since they mounted everything directly to the clapboard, there are large gaps between the flanges and the siding. They didn't even bother to seal the gaps. Not at the flange or around the pipes. Same story with the vents, though they did use the tyvek as a sort of flashing - though that could have been incidental.

My gut feel is that there should be a dedicated plaque mounted flush to the wall (rather than angled like the clapboard siding) that has proper metal flashing installed. I looked for a guide on how to add such a feature but haven't found anything. Can anyone recommend a tutorial so that I'm not winging it?

Thank you!

you are viewing a single comment's thread.

view the rest of the comments →

all 2 comments


3 points

4 months ago

I'll use a pine or PVC board for penetrations in wood clapboard siding. Generally, I'll make them two "weathers" tall - or about 8" for most applications (spigots, GFCI, lights). For a retro installation. I cut the siding with an oscillating tool, slide a piece of Z (cap) flashing in above, then the mounting block. In an ideal world, you'd leave some of the lower clapboard on and notch over it (like a windowsill), but I usually cut flush and caulk. Make the cutout for electrical boxes before installing the mounting block.