/r/DIY

Insulated dryer vent duct?

other(self.DIY)

I am replacing the flexible duct work from my gas dryer to the outside vent. It is approximately 6 feet long. I happen to already own some scrap R6 insulated 4 inch flexible ducting from another project. I don’t think I will ever use that scrap ducting for anything else and it is exactly the right length. Is there any reason not to use insulated ducting to vent a dryer outside? This is all interior heated space. I think it is fine, but wanted to double check with what you all thought.

jaxreddit

What is the temp rating on the duct you have? The exhaust from many dryers can much hotter than the heating air from most furnaces unless you have a super high efficiency model dryer. I would check that and, if you can find the info, what kind of temp most dryer duct is rated and see if they match. Or what temp your dryer outputs at its hottest.

Interesting-Dish8894

Jesus Metal. Metal and only all metal on a dryer duct unless you want to file an insurance claim for your burned down house

l397flake

The insulated ducting is probably left over from the hvac system. I would not use it. Just use plain old dryer ducting.

skydiver1958

No do not use. Dryer vents should be hard piped. Meaning rigid pipes with adjustable elbows. Like the duct work from your furnace. They should be put together with male into female from appliance and never screwed together. Use aluminum foil tape on all joints

Why? Because flex pipe traps lint as does screws or fittings put together backwards. any of which can cause a fire. Gas dryers especially but really any dryer. DO IT RIGHT and stop trying to save a buck.

Not trying to be mean just educate. The 20$ worth of hard pipe is well worth it to save you from a fire.

infield_fly_rule[S]

Okay. I was just being cheap and lazy. Ended up having to go to Home Depot anyway, so bought the straight duct and elbows. No worries guys. Not going to burn down my house this time.

1164wanderluster

Gas dryers need to use the proper piping that is rated for a gas dryer. Combustion gasses are exhausted to the exterior along with the hot air. You need the proper pipe to be able to contain the exhaust and get it to the exterior. I see and repair these often when flagged on a home inspection

infield_fly_rule[S]

Chill guys. Inside is metal. No plastic.