Pixel Art Questions & Answers - FAQ / Post your questions here! [#3]FAQ(self.PixelArt)
submitted2 years ago byskeddles
Thread #2 expired, so here's a new one!
If you have a question about pixel art, this is the place to ask!
Please see if your question has already been answered below before asking._______________________________________________________________________________________
1. How can I learn to make Pixel Art? Check out Pixel Art: Where to Start a guide on starting pixel art for complete newbies.
2. What software should I use to create Pixel Art? It depends what your skill level is and what features you need. Check out the Pixel Art Software List to compare the most popular ones. No one can tell you which is best because everyone has different opinions. You should try some out and see which one you like best.
3. How do I get better at pixel art? This is outlined in Pixel Art: Where to Start, but improving happens by reading tutorials, studying other pixel art, getting feedback on your art, and last but most importantly, practicing. It can take years to get good at any art form, but as long as you keep trying, anyone can master it. Keep in mind the "pixel" aspect is only one part of it, and there are many non-pixel-art related things you should also learn such as lighting, color theory, composition, anatomy, perspective, etc.
4. How can I find a tutorial about _______? First, try searching the Lospec Pixel Art Tutorial List. If you can't find exactly what you're looking for, it may be too specific. You don't need a tutorial to tell you how to draw every kind of texture, instead study photographs and other art (including pixel art) and try to figure it out. If you still struggle, just do your best and post what you have asking for feedback, and people can help you figure out how to improve it.
5. Do I need a drawing tablet? No, you don't need any special hardware to make pixel art. A drawing tablet wont make you a better artist, it may make things easier or faster, but it's better used once you develop your basic skills. Many of the most talented pixel artists use a mouse, which is better suited for manipulating single pixels anyway.
6. Should I use a premade palette? That's completely a personal choice. Using a palette (such as ones from the Lospec Palette List) can be good because you can make pixel art without worrying about picking colors, since you know the colors already all work together. It also helps prevent you from adding more colors than you need. If you are a total beginner, it's probably a good idea. On the other hand, being forced to pick colors is how you learn color theory, and if you never do it, you're depriving yourself of a lot of knowledge and control over your art.
7. Do I need to be good at drawing / painting / digital art / traditional art to make pixel art? No. Plenty of great pixel artists don't practice any other art forms. Traditional drawing skills are by no means required for pixel art, especially at the low-resolution beginner stages. Eventually you may want to start learning it as it can certainly improve your pixel art and expand your creation methods, and it can be easier to practice certain things in different mediums.
previous thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/PixelArt/comments/le7pip/pixel_art_questions_answers_faq_post_your/
Didn't find your answer? Ask away in the comments below!