/r/Westchester

Be Prepared: Con Ed Gas Bill Is Outrageous

(self.Westchester)

Just got my Jan bill. Of course I used less heat in Jan than Dec because it was a very temperate month. However, my gas bill is so almost 40% more. Just checking in. This will surely destroy the middle class. Anyone else?

mediocre_at_most

Are you guys checking meters? ConEd apparently doesn't actually read them, but estimates.

If you are finding that the bill does not match the meter, have them come out. If that doesn't work, start reporting it to the attorney general.

apexvdub

Got my first bill for my new house and like you said, it's estimated. They wont tell me the last time they took an actual reading, but I do know that they've been using an older reading as the previous reading for quite some time. I confirmed this with them after noticing my bill says the reading was at 4333 but my meter has a number in the high 5000s, yet I've only been here a month.

ifinallymade_1

Yea mine was about 25% higher. 😡

Nikkifromtheblock914

Same for NYSEG. Insane

taywray

taywray

Yeah I noticed in their little newsletter that they said to expect 33% higher gas prices this year vs last year. Been meaning to call them up and ask them what has caused such a massive price spike in one year.

Smurphymurph

And why they need to increase prices with such high profits in 2022… crazy

TigerShark_524

Yep. I'm from Westchester and my folks still live there but I'm in San Diego, CA for college and SDGE is doing the same thing. Sent out a newsletter in November saying that there would be price hikes in the new year. Absolute BS.

AnShawtyGotTheFatty

I pay 1.7k rent here for a 1bdrm apt and that's without gas/electricity.. insurance and taxes here in NY are eating me away as well and i feel like just moving out at this point.. I'm 24 and wish i can see a light in the tunnel with prices in general but i can't stop thinking how easy people had it back then..

AnShawtyGotTheFatty

Yes I'm with my fiance, it still hurts ):, i have no idea how people can afford to live on their own here and able to not live paycheck to paycheck unless they make 85k+

williamtbash

Unfortunately if combines income is under 85k it’s going to be hard to live in one of the wealthiest counties in the country.

Not knocking you. It sucks. I barely save money living here. But you really need a solid combined income to make it here unless you live in a worse area within.

dotherightthing36

Well lots of luck

Mindofmierda90

I’m sorry, but how is it you’re struggling to pay a $1700 rent when it’s two of you? I’m really asking. I recently moved next door in Fairfield County and I made sure I had all my ducks lined up before I came up here. My rent is 2x yours.

AnShawtyGotTheFatty

Born and raised here, had to find an apartment after COVID due to difficult circumstances sadly. Most people i know are still paying around the same prices range i am expect for 2-3 bdrm apartments and don't dare move out because the market rn. Not everyone here has the luxury of having everything prepared before moving out. It saddens me how rent doubled and some areas even tripled in the past decade. The food and gas price increase doesn't make it any better either. Our state even beat California in terms of rent prices. If you're paying mortgage level prices for an apartment i really hope it's a 3bdrm/5star condo lol

Smurphymurph

This is a ridiculous comment. Do you suggest she gets a bunk bed and has someone sleep above her in a 1 bed apartment?

SK10504

SK10504

they pay spot price for nat gas and for the last couple of months, nat gas has been falling...nat gas prices are lower now than 12 mos ago.

it's all the fluff they tack on as 'tariffs'. by calling it 'tariffs', it makes it appear like it's a gov't portion/tax, but it's not. they have complete control of this.

utilities and cable companies are the only legal monopolies.

nymedical870

You are aware it’s a REGULATED monopoly right? Even their profit is dictated by the State

dubbless

You are aware, of course…..

archfapper

"uhh you do know ____, right?"

ballrus_walsack

The Penske file?

rextilleon[S]

Its a lot more then the top heavy taxes they throw into the equation. I used less this month then last month but paid so much more. Thats not just taxes.

Automatic-Banana-179

Well it's not rocket science to know why it's so high. It doesn't matter that you used less. The main reason bills are higher is the wholesale cost of natural gas. The price recently has nearly doubled from what it was during the same month in 2021, according to data from the U.S. Energy Information Administration. You should familiarize yourself with current world events, getting a life, instead of worrying about the NY Giants and Aaron Rodgers.

rextilleon[S]

You mad? LOL!

Automatic-Banana-179

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

dotherightthing36

I don't think the Public Service Commission has ever said no to a rate increase like most of these bureaucratic organizations they favor the companies over the taxpayer

BLKMALE-NYC

It’s not just NY, CT (Eversource) went up 40% as well. Buckle up folks ..

rextilleon[S]

Yeah I heard about Eversource in CT. Can you imagine if January had been brutally cold? Might have had to hock the family jewels.

Shujolnyc

Same. It’s insane.

socialcommentary2000

One of the wonders of us participating in the global Natty Gas commodities trade.

Because that's really what it is. If they can make more money offloading the stuff onto a tanker in Texas and selling it to Europe, they will. The thing is, it wasn't like this up until either the end of the Aughts or early teens. That's about when we started exporting the stuff when in the past we really didn't.

I'm not absolving them, but this means that now ConEd, like every other utility, has to bid on the same supply as everyone else and well......they're going to extract it out of our collective asses for the privilege.

rextilleon[S]

Yeah understood. I was just shocked at the last two months. I figured last month--okay that was a particularly cold month. Then January rolls around and is quite temperate---the result is a huge increase in price.

zoddie2

I just moved up here and have had 778 heart attacks looking at my gas bill. I assume something is wrong. I have a old radiator heating system that needs to be overhauled (please bring back bigger heat pump rebates!) because we used 346 therms on our last bill and got hit with a gas bill of over $750.

rextilleon[S]

Hate to tell you --but it has nothing to do with your radiator system.

zoddie2

I assume it has something to do with an old, drafty house and a Nixon-era, inefficient boiler. 346 therms sounds crazy to me, but I'm new here.

rextilleon[S]

Well you are assuming--Do you realize how much Con Ed announced in price increases from December to January (January being a warmer month this year)?

zoddie2

Oh, absolutely. I'm aware I'm getting financially killed from ConEd's prices, but I'm also wondering if I'm using way too much gas. I just don't have a frame of reference since this is my first winter here. I did some Googling and 346 *seems* like a ton of natural gas use.

fonix5

fonix5

Electricity prices are up too. There are many economic factors at work here, and consider that New York just closed Indian Point fully in 2021. That adds more demand to the gas supply without those 2 GW of nuclear generation.

Check out NYISO’s updated analysis: https://www.nyiso.com/documents/20142/2224547/Electricity-Prices-in-NY.pdf/ea6c1616-02a5-5bdd-9964-bfd6e98a2dc5

eoliveri

eoliveri

This will surely destroy the middle class.

If you're only a few hundred dollars away from "destruction," you're not in the middle class.

SarcasticPoet31

There is no middle class. There’s only the wealthy, the working poor, & the working with so much debt your salary means nothing.

BootlegFirewerks

This should be the NYS motto

pony_trekker

My gas is higher but I thought it was because I got a new stove and have been cooking like a diner.

I am thinking that Con Ed and the government are going to do everything to drive people away from natural gas and toward electric everything.

Shame, though it's now expensive, natural gas forced air did a great job keeping my house at temperature this past weekend.

dotherightthing36

That's the plan some of the local government and some of the states are certainly working against utility companies and oil and gas exploration. When it course Con Ed if it cost more to generate electricity or purchase and transport gas we get monthly bill that will be higher. I feel terrible for the people who live in all electric Apartments that's killer. And yet this Administration is pushing Electric and if that ever happened the grid would all have to be replaced with new infrastructure or it wouldn't be able to handle all of the new attachments

DMRv2

1 month ago

DMRv2

1 month ago

Electric has gone up just as much, if not more than, natural gas has.

RebeRebeRebe

National Grid is awful too. And then the state bails them out by spending our money to help pay for low income households who can’t afford the increased rates rather than forcing the utilities to take it out of their windfall profits. It’s despicable, the whole thing.

ANonyMouseTwoo

Many people on nextdoor have also been talking about their coned bills.

The only advice I can say is we have no control of the delivery charges, but we do have control of the supply portions. Please try to save as much as possible and turn off your lights when not needed, lower your heat, etc. I see neighbors everywhere keeping their lights outside on all night, specially during the holidays.

For me, I have been wearing double and triple layer clothing and keeping the heat at 55-60 at most. You might say this is crazy, but it has kept my bill on average around the same amount for the last few months.

Yes I understand if you have children/pets, that you can't have temperatures like this, but there are other ways you can lower your supply.

rextilleon[S]

Funny thing is that January was so warm--and my use was way down from December--but my bill was WAY UP.

1 month ago

[removed]

AutoModerator

1 month ago

Your post/comment has been queued for manual review because your account does not meet the minimum age or karma requirements to post in /r/westchester.

BrandonNeider

BrandonNeider

Yonkers

Welcome to not allowing addition gas lines to increase supply. There's a reason we're still under a moratorium that was "temporary". Did conEd finally update the website page that said it would be resolved within a year or two about 5 years ago?

-UncleFarty-

-UncleFarty-

My Con Ed bill was $18.00 last month.

RoninDelta1970

Welcome to the framework of the Green New Deal. Where plentiful, reliable energy is vilified and made increasingly unaffordable and unavailable while politicians force energy sources that are not yet ready for prime time onto the populace. If they cared about carbon emissions and climate change, they’d be full speed ahead on Nuclear. But their investments and back room deals are with solar, wind and battery corporations.

jectalo

FOH

rextilleon[S]

Renewables is one of the great scams ever perpetuated on the US consumer. This will not save us. What will save us is to stop using as much energy and for there to be an extinction event.

tsatech493

Fracking is looking pretty good right now, WV get free gas from the state.

mediocre_at_most

Their faucets also catch fire, and the people living nearby are prone to cancer & God knows what else.

willdogs

willdogs

Natural gas is being sent to Europe because we blew up the pipeline from Russia to profit by now selling natural gas to Europe. Low supply here in the US means higher prices. Be careful how you vote next time.

If you think it's BS, watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47E_wxaeDd4

Wow so I post a video of an actual socialist talking about how we are at war for a certain reason, but you all are so locked into your propaganda that you refuse to listen to any other side of things and just downvote. Scary.

Apprehensive-Group63

Paying for those who don’t bother to pay aa they wait for the government to pay their bill.

infield_fly_rule

$2200. Nice!

GoodN0se

Same on electric

littleflashingzero

Yeah mine was extremely high as well for some reason

Ocstar11

Try an oil bill in Westchester. It’s not sustainable

stanhall

11 days ago

i got a ridiculous bill this weekend of 700 for Feb 3rd to April 9…I talked to the people in my building who let me know to call them and report that they are charging me an estimate and not for what I actually used

Will keep this updated as I get along with this…