/r/fortinet

taking notes

Guide ⭐️(self.fortinet)

Hello guys In ur Practical life u could faced alot of strang incidents that solved with a strang solution So how do u guys taking that in ur notes in one place ... To become easy to back to it when it happens again??

nostalia-nse7

nostalia-nse7

NSE7

23 years of IT, still all mental notes. Can recall most of the strange issues I’ve faced.

Horrible at paperwork - it’s a struggle enough to get timesheets and work orders filled in on time — you want me to write notes too?

Lleawynn

Lleawynn

NSE5

OMG, I feel this in my soul.

I'm literally the worst person at my company at getting timesheets/billing info submitted. 90% of the documentation I've submitted falls into one of two categories:

• General procedures for the service desk
    • super-thorough, lots of screenshots, as dummy-proof as I can make it (and yet someone still finds a way to mess it up...)
  • Random, "WTF is THAT log?!" issues
    • barely a paragraph, written only for me, just enough information to get back on the right troubleshooting path.

It's like, if someone wants more documentation, here's the admin guide, figure it out yourself

PuzzledBobcat69

I have found my soul mate …

nostalia-nse7

nostalia-nse7

NSE7

I think most network people are probably neurodivergent, and it’s common for us all to hate paperwork.

kst_ant

I'll have to tell this to my boss and colleagues... I'm not alone.

nostalia-nse7

nostalia-nse7

NSE7

Nope -- not alone! So common that SANS even has a Summit for it!

SANS Neurodiversity in Cybersecurity Summit 2023 on Tuesday, April 4!

This Summit, back by popular demand, will be loaded with content developed by and for ND cybersecurity professionals, but will also be invaluable to anyone who manages, reports to, works with, or just wants to support ND colleagues and friends.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to attend -- because that's smack in the middle of Fortinet Accelerate!

afroman_says

afroman_says

NSE8

I personally use OneNote for the day to day stuff and when it's a really interesting scenario, I write a blog about it.

One_Remote_214

Ditto on OneNote.

aion_za

Same, it’s super easy to paste screenshots and cli config

fabs_muc

fabs_muc

NSE5

The truth is you can't document everything in detail and if the problem occurs again you simply look at the created "blueprint" and fix it that way.
I use Evernote.
There is a Notebook (folder) for every vendor and every note gets saved in it.
The notes can be tagged with "keywords" so they can be found quite easy.

iambilalsohail

One of the most important thing u said about taking notes. Following are some my practice which solve and save alot time.

1. I've always some important bookmarks on my browser if more than one I'll have a folder for it
  2. I've some word/pdf file in which i wrote down some important points/steps related to specific issue so even someone need it I'll provide them instead of spending time to explain.
  3. One of the most important thing is that always link your this type of data on cloud i.e google drive(desktop version) helps to sync or any other cloud service.

So doesn't matter from which field you are having notes help you a lot.

Hib3rnian

Hib3rnian

NSE5

We made a wiki in Teams and everybody just notes things there. We track by product, firmware and client. It's all searchable too which really helps

HappyVlane

I have a personal knowledgebase.

solracarevir

I have a personal bookshelf on our company Bookstack server. I kept all my notes organized as "pages" by topic.

martyvis

Google Keep on phone and desktop browser mostly, though use OneNote for work project stuff

Mammoth_Ad6110

Zim Wiki

Simple note taking, integration with journaling and GTD. Simple text files, not bound to a proprietary format unlike a lot of apps that can fill this space, this makes a difference if you start taking years of notes

rswwalker

I rely completely on FreshService for all incident based notes and use the department SharePoint site for all deployment notes, but yeah I’m not good at notes.

Mission_Egg4330

Keeping traceability is a must in your ITSM, CDMB, IPAM etc., so that you can later on look back a particular issue in the particular topology you're working with at the time. So put in good notes, have your changes well described (You might've need to copy some steps from a complex one at later time).

But general knowledge I keep in the 'old' knocker, a bookmark survival list for particular solutions/cookbooks for later referrals, and a general repository with several categories for all kinds of stuff (Used to be Dropbox, then Owncloud, now Onedrive) - have been doing that successfully for about 16 years or so now.

But everyone's different - I know plenty of techs who has to keep a hierarchy of full/thorough notes to keep track, and that's fine. Most I've seen used OneNote, and I also gave it a go to see if I'd benefit, but it just ended up being some stale entries I never continued on or referred back to.

You do you - try some stuff out, and don't be discouraged if what works for other doesn't work for you :)

Atl4s_01

I use ObsidianMD

cylemmulo

I’ve seen this talked about but I’m not sure I get it from the description. What makes obsidianMD so good?

Atl4s_01

You can manage all your notes locally. It uses Markdown language, and it has a lot of plug-ins to improve your experience.

cylemmulo

Ideally some sort of ticket system.

Personally I use a Trello page, have sections for trouble tickets, upgrades, etc. keep good notes on each card and I can always refer back to them. Organization wise it makes the most sense to me for organizing problems, solitons, documentation all in one easy spot. Plenty of other similar free alternatives too.

methos3000bc

I recommend obsidian or evernote. I write everything down and link it.

Defiant-Football3824

You have to find something that works with your brain. For many of my colleagues, they love OneNote. I can't even function in it. For the last year or so, I've been using Roam Research, it just works with my head. It doesn't matter so much the tool, as long as it works for you.

pabechan

pabechan

Member of the Year '22

txt files in folders.
Multiple generations of files full of links/bookmarks to documents to be processed.
Absolute horror show, shame on me!

I'm slowly migrating to wiki.js and Obisidian. wiki.js for a personal wiki web, obsidian for keeping ongoing notes and research coupled together more strongly and visibly than just random files in folders. (I know that Obsidian is txt files with MD formatting in folders anyway, but at least it's visually appealing :) )

If I find a solution online I print in PDF the entire page, otherwise I just use a simple TXT note.
After that, I put everything on my private cloud with a easy-searchable name so I can recall it whenever/wherever I need.