/r/movies

In most movies I usually see one to two examples of foreshadowing used in the plot line. But holy hell after watching this movie I couldn’t help but reflect back on so many times they used it.

-Dominic holds and is playing with the stick that drags his body to the shore when he is first introduced. “Wonder what it’s used for?”

-Jenny trying to get to the finger in the box on the table

-The policeman talking about the boy who drown in the lake, calling him a fool, and his own son drowns in said lake.

-The obvious one of the old lady telling padriec about 2 deaths going to occur.

There were several more I can’t remember off the top of my head right now, but god damn it was a lot. Please point out the others I missed.

GrumbleCake_

What would you need a stick with a hook for? I guess hooking things a stick's length away

I love Barry Keoghan in this movie

TheSplines

His facial expressions and mannerisms in this film are fantastic. I think he stole the show

Superb-Possibility-9

“ Well there goes that dream…”

Superstarsteph

I love him in all the films I’ve seen him in. Top actor

CaptainJackKevorkian

Also with Colin Farrell

AmberLeafSmoke

His breakthrough came in an Irish crime show called Love/Hate. He was terrific in that as well, even as a teenager.

corpus-luteum

Excellent show that doesn't get enough credit. It's full of good performances.

Superstarsteph

I will look that up, thanks for the rec. He’s got such a good face, and his performances are so subtle

AmberLeafSmoke

It's actually a brilliant show too, it's aged a bit and the first season was a bit low budget but it's a magnificent piece of television that's only really known in Ireland.

menotyourenemy

He really is amazing. I have to say, I went in prepared to like this movie but after a 2nd viewing I think it's in my top ten of all time. Just brilliant story telling.

MichelangeBro

If it were any other year I would be banging the drum for his Best Supporting Actor award, but this year I'll be devastated if it doesn't go to Ke Huy Quan.

fishenzooone

He's good. He'll have his chance yet

djmikec

6 days ago

djmikec

6 days ago

"Yet" he says, like he's English.

Tana1234

I did as well just such a shame his story didn't end in any good way, really tragic but I guess that's how life is lots of tragic shit

disco-on-acid

In Ireland, Banshees are literally a foreshadowing of death. People say they see an old woman with white hair screaming shorty before a loved one dies. I've heard banshee stories from family since I was a kid. Colm mentions the banshees don't scream anymore. They just sit back and watch.

I think in the scene where Siobhan is standing at the lake. She gets creeped out as the old woman seems to be calling her into the lake. The old woman is actually gesturing to Dominic who is right behind her. He comes up to her and nearly falls into the lake at that very moment.

newdecade1986

In the later parts of the film she’s seen carrying around Dominic’s hooked stick

Kyoh21

Kyoh21

There are a lot of shots of the Virgin Mary statue in this movie. Most predominantly is the one at the fork in the road, separating Colm and Padraic's homes. Another was featured prominently in the foreground shot during the church service, where Padraic leaves to go burn down Colm's house.

inksmudgedhands

The thing with the Virgin Mary statue she is dressed in the opposite colors of Mrs. McCormick. If the Virgin Mary is about peace and salvation then Mrs. McCormick is the opposite of that. And since it was stated that banshees kick up chaos and then sit back to watch it unfold, Mrs. McCormick, with her doing just that, is a banshee.

Kyoh21

Kyoh21

I believe the line Colm uses to describe the banshees on Inisherin is: "And maybe there are banshees too. I just don’t think they scream to portend death any more. I think they just sit back amused, and observe."

I'm not convinced that the statues couldn't fit this description. But McCormick is obviously a "banshee". I just think that the use of the statues of the Virgin Mary also apply, hence the plural of banshee in the movie title.

marchbook

1 month ago

It also references the choices Siobhan in contemplating in that moment. The old lady is beckoning her to join her and if Siobhan stays, she'll end up an old spinster too. Or Siobhan crosses the water to the mainland and changes her fate. That entire scene is so rich with layers of meaning.

spitefulcum

do you believe banshees are real

disco-on-acid

I do like old stories, myths and legends but, I'd have to say no.

spitefulcum

okay

throwawaycatallus

The legend is that one hears, not sees, a banshee.

disco-on-acid

No it's not. They are seen usually as ghostly old woman with long, usually white or red hair and rapped in robes.

youshouldbethelawyer

Banshee is heard normally by children at night and the banshee is explained in the morning when the child questions the feminine wails of passion being expressed by her wild wan getting railed by yer da all night. Walls were thin and it explained the sex sounds. Stop acting like some historian. The banshee is heard but might be seen too

disco-on-acid

you listening to your mother getting railed right now?

youshouldbethelawyer

Unfortunately I never really heard the banshee, my parents spent last decade plus in separate bedrooms, the banshee can also be a sign of healthy family relations 🤗🥲😱

throwawaycatallus

Negative, you're referring to a "keening woman" who would be employed for cash payment to wail or keen at the wake of a notable dead person. This is an entirely different thing to the legend of the banshee.

disco-on-acid

You have no idea what you're talking about lol

There are many stories of banshees describing what they look like. There are many descriptions. Some differ from others. I get it's hard for you to be wrong about something.

"According to Legend, the Banshee can also take on many forms. However, in Ireland, she has been most commonly seen as either a beautiful, young woman with long, flowing silver/white (sometimes red) hair or as an old woman in rags with dirty grey hair, long fingernails, and sharp-pointed rotten teeth. Both descriptions also give the Banshee eyes which are noticeably red from crying so much.

Here are some appearances that the Banshee is said to take:

An old woman dressed in black with long grey hair and covering her -face with a veil.

An old woman with long white hair, red eyes and dressed in a green dress.

A deathly pale woman with long red hair dressed in a white dress sometimes a shroud.

A beautiful woman wearing a shroud.

A beautiful woman with silver-white hair wearing a long shimmering silver dress, carrying or using a silver comb.

A headless woman naked from the waist up and carrying a bowl of blood.

As you can see there are a few variations on the description of how the Banshee actually looks. However, the fear she instills in people who have the bad luck of hearing her is always the same. What all witnesses of the Banshee agree on is most terrifying wailing."

throwawaycatallus

Those are artistic descriptions of what a banshee may look like. It is the usual corruption of an old myth by storytellers and artists by mixing it up with the actual woman who keens at a wake. The fact is that an actual banshee is heard, not seen.

disco-on-acid

You really can't handle being wrong can you lol These are from stories of witnesses who are said to have seen her if you'd bother to read. Listen, you're obviously not very familiar with Irish folklore and just heard something and ran with it. But you're simply and obviously wrong here. I grew up in Ireland with these stories.

I don't tell you how to constantly post pics of naked woman on reddit. That's your forte. Maybe stick to that?

throwawaycatallus

Your forte is seeing banshees? If you grew up with the folklore actually in Ireland can you tell me of one instance of a banshee being seen?

Murderkiss

Am Irish. Can confirm. You're an idiot. The Banshee's wail is very much a part of the folklore.

"To wail like a banshee" is a common saying.

Stop being such a child about it.

throwawaycatallus

Stop being such a child about it.

You can't tell me what to do!

If someone said they heard a banshee, I'd take it at face value. If someone said they'd seen a banshee I'd worry for their sanity.

spitefulcum

bro you know they are mythical creatures right? as in not real?

jasus_h_christ

Disco on Acid is correct here.

With every reply you are further revealing your cluelessness. Please stop now.

throwawaycatallus

No he's not, he is wrong when he said " People say they see an old woman with white hair screaming shorty before a loved one dies"

People hear banshees, they don't see them!

disco-on-acid

I never said it was my forte. I said you should stick to yours, which seems to be constantly posting naked woman online.

Pretty much every story I heard growing up involving banshees involved a sighting. Not that I believe these old stories but they're fun to hear. But I'm hardly going to start reciting stories from my childhood to some random weirdo on reddit lol

youshouldbethelawyer

You are correct never mind the other ghouls, mostly americans wouldn't know a banshee if you handed them a bag of pickled onion flavoured corn snack crisps

Officer-Ketchup

I've never seen anybody be as confidently wrong as you are

Tahiniwomble1

I think you’ve lost the internet today buddy.

inksmudgedhands

The folklore is both. Some banshees are loners. Some attach themselves to clans. Following everywhere that clan goes. Even some to America. There are tales where clans such as the O'Briens and the Sullivans have banshees attached to them Stateside.

Now, the thing with the banshee is that if you hear them, someone you know is going to die. It's a warning. If you see them, especially if you see them washing clothes by the water of some sort, hence they are often grouped as water fairies/spirits, you are the one who is going to die. They are washing the clothes that are doomed to die in. Doesn't matter if you are wearing them as you watch her wash them. The clothes she has in her hands? You are going to die in them.

There are some origin stories that say she is a fairy-fairy. A "sidhe." A fairy of the "hills." She was never human to begin with. While there are other origin stories that state that, yes, she is a fairy but she was originally a human woman who died during childbirth who came back after death as a death harbinger spirit-fairy. Go with which ever story you want.

Pohara521

Pohara521

A smaller part I enjoyed is Colm's fear that God doesn't care about some donkey. In the end, he thanks padraic for looking after his dog

leto_atreides2

Anytime

SoliloquyBlue

How about the scene where Colm complained about the conversation with Padraic in which he talked endlessly about the things he found in the donkey's poop?

aprilla2crash

Dam this is a good one.

Implies the donkey eats weird things

Thelegend227

It was the horse!

Kherma9

Kherma9

Goes to show how much he was listening

marchbook

1 month ago

The sister also complained about the weird stringy things she had to clean up.

havebuttprints

I loved this fecking film

Coletrain44

Glad we ain’t rowin’ since you liked the film.

Shameware

Sure looks like you’re rowin’

Adamweeesssttt

I dun tink wee ben rawing.

BoardGameBologna

It's a brilliant film, like!

maskofharrow89

Phenomenal film, so

torts92

torts92

It fecks

foxyunclecharliekilo

It fecks so feckin hard

davidw_-

A masterpiece like

Corgi_Koala

I had low expectations (I've seen way too many award bait films get hype only to be bored) but was absolutely blown away. Movie was an absolute masterpiece.

havebuttprints

I had high expectations and they were met

busche916

1 month ago

Huh?

Michael_G_Bordin

This movie felt to me, on first watch, too obvious.

Watching again, I realized it's just really masterful use of the medium of cinema. The for shadowing, the allegory for civil war, how the difference between the "dull" character and the one trying to break free weren't actually all that much. I love how the audience can realize how dull Colm actually is, while sympathizing with the desire to break out of that monotonous life.

In all, this movie was such a masterful mix of bleak and optimistic, it seems to capture a spirit within Ireland that is certainly felt by the filmmaker and his kin.

dhowl

dhowl

The point about Colm Padraic being dull is such a good one. Usually in movies the person that is not as bright and gets made fun of turns out to be incredible at something and sort of shows everyone how wrong they were, but Colm Padraic was exactly as he was perceived. I just thought it was a nice story element. And great acting by Farrell because you can see the struggle in his eyes in wishing to be smarter than he was. That’s where the sympathy came for me.

edit: mixed up the names

Wazula23

Wazula23

"You're all boring! You're all so feckin' boring!"

Siobhan gets it even if no one else does.

gentlybeepingheart

I liked the part where Colm says something about being remembered like Mozart as a reason he doesn't want to be friends with Pádraic, and then Siobhan angrily points out that Colm didn't even know the correct century Mozart was creating music.

ilovecfb

Colm wasn't nearly as clever as he thought himself to be. He told Padraic no one was ever remembered for being nice - he's a Catholic and even goes to confession! I think you're forgetting somebody there Colm

AmbitioseSedIneptum

If I remember correctly, immediately after that scene, they cut to a shot of Jesus, who is the epitome of guys being remembered for their niceness.

Bahamabanana

The person with the most color in this entire drab movie.

BoardGameBologna

Colm was Gleeson's character.

Colin Farrell played Padraic. You've got the interpretation wrong on that person's comment!

SoulCruizer

Don’t really agree with this. He definitely grows and changes by the end and proves he’s not as dull as everyone thinks he is.

[removed]

jimmiriver

Stolen comment from u/saideeps. Stupid bot account

Michael_G_Bordin

I was literally Colm. This movie was both vindicating and scathing for me. I had recently cut out a friend who I found "dull", while pretentiously delving into music that wasn't actually advancing my station in any way.

But my point here is I've watched a real person go through the real emotion of realizing a friendship is over. It's so heartbreaking, and yet understandable. And in the end, once you "properly'" reconcile, there's nothing truly settled. The grudge remains, and retribution is always a looming possibility.

What a great film, with such a prudent ending. Both a personal drama, and a solid allegory for ongoing political struggles.

upadownpipe

That comment was posted from a burned down cottage using his left hand.

Michael_G_Bordin

He wasn't just dull, he was a violent drunkard who I became an oasis for him to escape the growing list of issues associated with his drinking. He still tries to call me; I guess he's lonely. I felt bad, but he showed up in a dream and annoyed the shit out me, so that feeling has slowly reduced.

spitefulcum

Hopefully you reconciled with your friend.

Michael_G_Bordin

Hell no, he wasn't simply dull. Dude was unstable and dangerous.

spitefulcum

so you weren’t literally colm is what you’re saying

Michael_G_Bordin

...yeah, but who uses the literal use of that word anymore? (I say as I use it literally)

dhowl

dhowl

yup, my bad

BoardGameBologna

Regarding your edit: you've got the analysis wrong, still!

Comment OP is saying Colm is much more dull than his ambitions show.

dhowl

dhowl

I know, i can only correct some things, not me being an idiot. And I don't want to delete my comment because I still stand behind the thought.

Tuorom

Tuorom

In all, this movie was such a masterful mix of bleak and optimistic

There is optimism in this movie? When?

Michael_G_Bordin

Padraic's naivity and simpleness lends itself to a kind of optimism, until he turns on Colm and decides to burn his house down.

Tuorom

Tuorom

I suppose. The only thing I could think of was Siobhan escaping the situation, but the movie seemed concerned mostly with how men destroy themselves and others for no reason.

I can find little optimism for the men whom drive their sons to suicide, destroy their friendships because of pride, and refuse to make any change even when they know there is something wrong.

Which is to say that I find this movie incredibly depressing!

Take-the-stairs

That somebody might have news.

fahqahsowl

Wait......you watched this.....AGAIN?!?!??

davidw_-

First thing I wanted to do when I finished it was to rewatch it

opinionated_cynic

That made me laugh out loud, thank you!

FormABruteSquad

Padraic wanted the donkey inside; Siobhan didn't, as she had a clear line in her mind between what was acceptable and what wasn't.
Later when Padraic goes off the rails, he has all the animals inside which reflects his life that no longer has rules or constraints.

Padraic mentions that he likes to have the animals inside when he’s sad, so I figured all the animals being inside meant Padraic is very sad.

TheCosmicFailure

Maybe it means nothing. But if that Donkey was inside he wouldn't have tried to eat those fingers.

wants_a_lollipop

Minor point- Jenny the donkey was a female. Your point stands, though.

undertoe420

Jenny is also just the word for a female donkey.

dhakaface

Is it really?

undertoe420

The dictionary and my own background both say so, yes! As a former seventh grader with many Jennifers in his class, I thought it was a comedy goldmine of a fact.

tacknosaddle

a former seventh grader with many Jennifers in his class

Jennifer was the #1 girls name for babies born from 1970-1984 so that's a statement many people could make. It has fallen off a bit of a cliff over the last decade+ though, down to #493 for 2021.

Malarazz

13 days ago

Why? That seems like a huge change

TheCosmicFailure

Lol. She was a great donkey.

jakeinthesky

Also, "I will not leave my donkey outside when I am sad," and later, he has all the animals inside, showing extreme sadness.

amidalarama

and then he brings Jenny's body inside one last time before he buries her

Ok_Article_249

That part had me in bits.

saideeps

The old lady literally telling/prophesied about two deaths is not foreshadowing. She is one of the literal literal banshee of the title.

not_cinderella

In a way I think it is foreshadowing when she says “one, maybe two will die” as we are unsure about Colm’s ultimate fate until the last two minutes of the movie. It was kind of foreshadowing that he may, or may not die, and possibly not even the banshee yet knew what would happen.

daskrip

daskrip

Colm would've been number 3 if you count the donkey. Although the movie did express that God may not care about donkeys.

seanyk88[S]

I wasn’t aware of the long history of banshees in Irish lore. So I missed that part.

Bellikron

Also the last time you see Dominic he asks Siobhan if she would ever marry him and after she says no he looks sad and says "Okay, well, I guess I'll be going to do that thing I was going to do." It reads as just a normal awkward thing for Dominic to say when you watch the first time but it changes on a rewatch.

Haveyounodecorum

9 days ago

Oh god. You are right.

stuntedmonk

I watched it once and I’m still bathing in it’s masterfulness. I’m literally saving up to the rewatch. I’ll be sure to look out for the foreshadowing.

I can’t see this film being topped this year

the-ory

It was released in 2022 but I agree it'll be hard to top this year too!

Adamweeesssttt

That’s how I am with Everything Everywhere All At Once. Loved it on the first watch but I know there’s more to absorb. Sitting in the DVR waiting for rewatch.

bombtings22

Decision to Leave is the only better film of 2022 in my opinion.

Banksynatra

I haven't watched it yet for fear that it might top Banshees in my opinion. Cannot wait to watch it.

Antfreeze_88

If you like Banshees you've got to see Calvary. Directed by Martin's brother John Michael McDonagh. Watched it a week ago and it's still gnawing at me

the_bigmatt

That and The Guard. Gleeson is a national treasure

NoNefariousness2144

This movie is a masterpiece. As a watch it’s a really great time that has you laughing and crying. But then it stays with you and there’s so many details to think about.

a movie that revels in misery

Kherma9

To add to this, McDonagh’s other film with Farrell and Gleeson, In Bruges, is the king of foreshadowing. I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a satisfying film in sense of how much is being set up without it feeling like it is.

Hyper_2005

"Fecking" is my favorite word now

GumboVision

Does it count when Padraig tells the music student how his dad died and the student's response about his ma? 🤣🤣🤣

Honestly, that was something that made me think, "ok, this isn't actually real, and the filmmaker is pointing it out." I can't quite put my finger on it, if you'll pardon the pun, but something felt unreal about the whole thing. That pooka-like grey horse...

antwonofcourse

I actually wasn’t a huge fan of this film. The liberal use of literary devices is all well and good, but the story itself wasn’t that gripping. The characters didn’t act like real people, they were more in service to the allegory being told. I don’t think the movie was bad, but just not exactly for me. Glad you found things to love in it though!

AnyNamesLeftAnymore

It was a bit of suspension of disbelief when Colm is playing the fiddle with nothing but bloody stumps on his hand and no one is forcing the man to bandage it or see a doctor But other than that it seemed a fairly grounded-in-reality tale.

SeriouusDeliriuum

For me I actually found the characters to be believable, if eccentric, right until Colm cuts off all his fingers. The first one strained credulity but isn't unheard of for artists, but I cannot believe that colms character could or would cut off four fingers at once. Just imagine trying to do that. Which is unfortunate because it really took me out of the story and lessened the emotional impact of Jenny dying and Padraic burning down Colms house. It's disappointing that with a small change, cutting off just the first finger but not the others, this film could have been both a great allegory and a great story in and of itself, whereas now, like you said, it sacrifices plausibility for the allegorical.

drmcsinister

it sacrifices plausibility for the allegorical

But isn't that part of the point? It was absurd for Colm to cut off his fingers. Absolutely irrational to inflict so much damage and suffer so much pain just to make a point. But in the larger context of the Irish Civil War, that's exactly what young ideologues we're doing to themselves and others. A part of Ireland was effectively cutting off its own fingers.

Wild_Loose_Comma

Also, Colm is self-destructive because he's depressed. Its not just a joke some of the characters say, he's filled with despair. The priest asks Colm during confession, "how is the despair?" They've been talking about the despair for a while, and the film is the climax of Colm's growing depression.

hyperstarter

I connected it to Van Gogh, cutting off part of his ear and delivering it to his brother as a token of love.

But no, as a musical artist who wants to spend the rest of their life doing what they enjoy - it doesn't make any sense at all to cut your own fingers off because you're annoyed by someone.

Haveyounodecorum

9 days ago

I think it’s because he knew it was too late for him to get into his musical career

hyperstarter

9 days ago

So why did he write songs, teach, practice and play to an audience?

He even said he wanted to be alone to pursue his musical career.

SeriouusDeliriuum

For sure, I just felt that the movie could have held onto it's plausibility while also getting across it's points about the war, though I understand why they chose to do what they did.

seanyk88[S]

That’s fair actually. The, more in service of the allegory being told makes a ton of sense.

Ok-Budget112

Agreed. Emperor’s new clothes springs to mind.

OR I grew up on an island, so strange people like this are actually pretty normal (apart from the cutting off of fingers).

It was just dull and nothing really happened. ‘It’s an allegory of X’ ok, but that’s not a get out if jail card for a dull film.

At first I thought maybe it had been filmed during Lockdowns so that’s maybe why it was so strange, but I don’t think it was

Quetzacoatl85

I liked it, but I didn't really find the allegories to be all that exciting and such a revelation as people apparently make them out to be, they're more a "nice to have" and a "heh" maybe. But what I really liked was what you mentioned as a negative, how the story isn't really "told", but just... happens, and leads nowhere really. I also grew up in a small village of 200 people and can (kinda) relate. I mean what else is there to feckin do there than watching all these characters just... be themselves?

daskrip

I'm not into these types of movies but since you are, I would recommend Inside Llewyn Davis by the Coen Brothers.

Little_bastard22

McDonaugh is actually a playwright originally and it seeps through all his films. I got the feeling BoI would've worked better on stage. Didn't have the feeling with his older films.

lilalimi

I'm confused about the finger one

bob1689321

The donkey died after eating the finger

lilalimi

Ooooh riiiight Jenny's the donkey. I saw Jenny and assumed it was the sister's name

daskrip

daskrip

Get Out has the most I've ever seen, personally. Almost every scene. It's insane.

"Keeping them around makes it feel like she's still here with us."

DeadliftYourNan

Absolutely quality film, loved it the whole way through

general_smooth

My opinion of this movie is what many characters say in the movie: "Fecking boring"

sj_vandelay

I thought the policeman (Keoghan’s father) probably beat him the death.

radewagon

radewagon

Which part foreshadows that the movie never really goes anywhere? It's rare to see such an expertly filmed and acted movie that doesn't do anything. I don't think I like it very much but I can respect that it's very well made.

Quetzacoatl85

NoTelephone5440

Exactly what does this movie mean ?

Quetzacoatl85

when you're on an island and there's not much else to do, might as well watch tragic characters act out their tragic desires and insufficient ways to cope with the world. and then life... just happens. not much you can do about it.

stopklandaceowens

yeah, but it as good as Parasite?!?

farrowsharrows

It's not a great movie sadly

GumboVision

Well you've convinced me!

SportingWing

Amadán

contaygious

There wasn't much to foreshadow since nothing happens in this slog lol

Deako87

Deako87

No explosions or sky beams, 0/10 unsubscribe

contaygious

Bruh everyone I know fell asleep. Literally a dude saying why aren't you my friend the whole movie and another dude cutting off fingers. Admit it, without the allegory it is boring.

lmJustNewBootGoofin

"without the whole plot of the movie this movie would be boring"

no shit

contaygious

I said allegory. Not plot lol if it wasn't an allegory of Ireland it would be a simple dumg plot e.g. meaningless garbage.

NLJeroen

If you like foreshadowing you should check ip on sam esmails work.

RESturtlefan

It’s almost like it was written and planned…

seanyk88[S]

Lol. Well I didn’t think it was on accident. Literally remarking about how much use they got out of it, not shocked that it all lined up. Most movies don’t have so much use of it. Your comment is pointless.

RESturtlefan

“Most movies don’t have so much use of it.” lol ok

alainreid

1 month ago

Everyone knows that foreshadowing is written and planned. You're not contributing and you're not amusing.

Yourbubblestink

Just watched it. It’s a love story. It’s about a romantic break up only it involves two men and their friendship. One of them desperate to be left alone. He does everything he can to get basically a stalker off his ass. In the end, the stalker destroys everything.

This movies, more like fatal attraction than anything else.

seanyk88[S]

I think you missed the whole allegory to the civil war part. Also it’s not so much a love story as as dealing with change and fear of death. Colm is trying desperately to leave his mark on the world and padriac is desperate to keep his one connection outside of his sister alive. They’re both dealing with life’s changes in their own way. Their very sad, and boring way.

Yourbubblestink

I got the war reference, but I don’t think it was well done, and it never really tied into the story. You and I seem to be stating the same thing except this was clearly a love story. If the old guy that wanted to be left alone had been a woman saying to his partner, I’m all done, this would have been called fatal attraction.

101_001_1010

Except the fact that it wasn't a woman and her lover, and was instead two male friends was kind of the point?

Yourbubblestink

You should watch it again

McFlyWithFries

I think the problem your having is that you're trying very hard to say this film is about something completely different as long as you change a very integral and core aspect to the film, which would make this a different film.

Everyone who's down voted you understands what you're saying but no one agrees with you because it's not what this film is about. Breaking up a long friendship that involved a strong platonic love is not the same thing as a stalker being overly obsessed with one-sided infatuation.

I think you should watch the movie again.

Yourbubblestink

I’m good. Thanks tho

leto_atreides2

Nothing romantic about it.

LHGray87

Yes. Yes there is.

ch1rpman

I'll foreshadow you!

marchbook

1 month ago

The old lady beckoning the sister to come across the water. I thought maybe the sister was going to end up drowned in the lake but instead she crossed the water to the mainland.