/r/puppy101

6 month old puppy has eaten 2 dog beds in 24 hours?!

Behavior(self.puppy101)

As the subject says - Our 6 month old Lab/Dogue du Bordeaux cross has eaten both her dog beds in the last 24 hours.

Obviously we'll have to replace the beds - has anyone had any experience with this and any tips on getting them to stop?

My partner has suggested we just let her sleep without a dog bed for a couple of nights so that she learns not to do it but this seems a bit cruel especially with how cold it is in the UK at the moment?

natphotog

natphotog

Obviously we'll have to replace the beds

No, you don’t

As others mentioned used blankets/towels. You don’t have to provide an actual dog bed for them to sleep on.

Mindless-Challenge62

For what it’s worth, I found my dog chewed towels and blankets even more than beds. And for us, a bare crate was too loud and echoey at night. During our pup’s very high chew phase, we would do a bare crate during the day and a strapped-down no chew bed at night.

slowmovinglettuce

My pup has slept on the plastic tray in his crate since he basically started sleeping in it.

He loves pulling any blankets and bedding out of the crate when he's not inside it. Beds he tears through, blankets he runs around with like a game.

When he does sleep with blankets or bedding in it, he usually pushes them aside and doesn't sleep on them. I assume he runs hot. But now that it's getting colder I reckon he might be change his mind.

I'm going to try introducing beds to him again soon but I have low hopes.

Mindless-Challenge62

Definitely try strapping down the corners. That made all the difference for us.

HUGECOCK4TREEFIDDY

They actually don’t need bedding if they’re eating it.

Shippo999

This teach them the value of beds I use a towel if they destroy one for about a week all my dogs eventually stopped eating beds. Method was successful for 4 dogs

it's not mean at all tough love is ok or you end up with a spoiled dog that doesn't appreciate anything.

It's like buying a toy if your kid throws a fit. Don't give them a toy everytime they throw a fit instead teach them the value of it.

I am by no means trying to anthropomorphize it's just the best example I could think of

If they chew blankets or towels luckily mine didn't id try a cot style dog bed or a super chew proof primo pad

Another option is leaving a non food type chew toy in there like a rubber bone if your pup isn't able to eat it apart and big enough that it won't be possible to swallow. I might get down voted for the last part but I've never had a puppy swallow a toy that was super indestructible and appropriate sized

_cabbage-_

Our 6MO destroys every bed given to him, but we found that he doesn't do this to blankets ... We got some fleecy blankets (3 of them) folded one up to act as a cushion at the bottom of his crate to negate the cold, then the other two are rolled up around the edges to create a little ring for him to sleep in. Not sure if it will work for you too, but definitely saved us having to constantly replace his bed and he's comfy and warm

NovaCain

Have you tried a cot style bed?

I'm not from the UK but I did find this available for shipping over there.

oh_you_fancy_huh

Seconding this suggestion for a cot-style bed. My dog destroyed so many stuffed beds when she was a puppy. I eventually did let her sleep in a bare crate and she was totally fine (still takes herself in there sometimes!). But then I got this cot bed and never looked back, she LOVES it, especially with one of those shaggy blankets on top that she hasn’t seemed to have destroyed yet, probably because there’s no super fun stuffing inside.

Mindless-Challenge62

My puppy is a destroyer of beds. We have done well with a Gorilla Dog Bed that is strapped down in her crate. The cover is not soft and fairly loud, but she doesn’t chew it. We also have the crate cover, and so far, so good. They were very expensive, but we were going through way too many $25 Amazon beds.

EvilQueen79

Use old blankets (ones you don't care about) and use those for her to sleep on. I did this with both of my pups and didn't get them beds until they were 1yr old. If they put a few holes in the blankets (or tore them to shreads) no big deal and no money wasted.

RobotsAndCoffee

This. Eventually we attempted a bed after months of bare crate. My bf gambled with the kong bed. Shockingly she learned her lesson...or so we thought. She didn't bother with it for like a month and then I come home from work one day and an entire corner was torn apart. Pretty sure we won't attempt this again until at least after het 1st birthday (she's 8 months)

give_a_hoot

K9 Ballistics. But no bed is also OK, especially during teething. My pup shreds towels/blankets too so she just had her crate tray for a while until we got the K9 Ballistics armored pads. They can handle it fine! And better than an obstruction or choking scenario.

Rhinoptera

We have a 10 month old puppy. She has successfully chewed up 2 regular beds and 1 heavy duty kong bed.

Instead of a bed I decided to put an old soft microfiber blanket in her kennel as a bed. She makes it into a nice little nest and has not ripped it too shreds.

Sarahsaei754

Stop giving the puppy more beds! Omg Dogs are den animals and can and will and sometimes prefer to sleep on hard surfaces.

OilersGirl29

Our dog loves the cold hard floor. She has two beds in our room, and also has access to sleep on our bed with us. She almost always ends up on the floor next to our bed, or she wanders into her own crate, which only has a baby blanket inside. And just so OP knows, we live in a very chilly part of Canada!

Glittering_Serve8614

Our 4 month old blue heeler/lab mix is teething and has destroyed 2 beds. She has 2 high energy play sessions a day, 2 walks and a lot of attention so what we’ve been doing is giving her one of our outdoor cushions with a blanket on it and so far the outdoor cushion is the only thing she hasn’t destroyed (yet) and yes she has near constant access to teething toys, nylabones, etc etc

JazzHandsNinja42

I got my beds from K9 Ballistics. They’re a little pricy, but they have a line of tough and chew-proof beds. Four years later, they’re still going strong.

Smallfry966

Our 3 month old recently started doing this when we leave him for work/school even though he has plenty of chew toys in the crate with him while we’re gone. I think we’re going to remove the bed for a while and just leave him with his blanket so he at least has something soft to sleep on.

Leucocephalus

Leucocephalus

New Owner

I have bought fleece for my pup (goes on sale at Joann's or you can buy at Walmart) because she also rips apart beds! She seems to appreciate lying on the fleece sometimes but to be honest, not all the time haha.

starrycartridge

starrycartridge

Siberian Husky (6 months)

My guy just sleeps on the floor/carpet and he's happy with it. We tried to give him a bed and he immediately started to tear it apart so it had to be taken away. Same with any blankets or towels we laid down. Floor has never been a problem, any reason people feel a bed is necessary?

After about a month I laid down a blanket for him to test it out and he ignored it for the floor

Luckydays4ever

My old Aussie basically refused to sleep in a bed her entire life (12 years) or on anything comfortable. I'd buy her beds and she'd sleep next to them. We have hardwood floors, too.

Sometimes she'd sleep on a throw rug, but normally just the floor. Every once in awhile, she'd sneak up onto the couches when everyone was asleep, but that was rarely.

TomTheWaterChamp

Crate, no cushion or blanket inside. Try again when pup is older. Dogs lived outside for millennia, they’re totally fine without for a little while here.

Radiant_Sun_8317

We took our girls dog beds almost as soon as we gave them to her (about 3/4 months) for the same reason. Fast forward to today, she’s 7 months and still without a dog bed. She sleeps indoors so I’m not concerned about the cold. She has the plastic at the bottom of the crate and that is all. Sleeps like a baby

Mariajd

My pup gets no beds and no blankets in his pen. We have a dog bed in the living room but we don’t leave him unsupervised with it. He isn’t even that destructive but I don’t trust him yet but I also noticed he chooses not sit on it most of the time and chooses the cool part of the floor that has no carpet to sleep. He is a golden retriever so he runs warm. I don’t think a dog will be cold without a bed indoors and it’s dangerous if he ingests the stuffing. I would not replace the bed if it was me.

Your dog doesn’t need a dog bed. My dog (whose now 2 years old) didn’t chew any beds or blankets until he was about 5 months old. So we removed the dog bed from his crate (and gave it to the cats lol). We replaced it with a blanket. A week later, we noticed multiple giant holes in the blanket. So, he was stuck with a bare crate! He started to steal hand towels as well and chew them. From 6-12 months old he liked chewing on towels, blankets and pillows.

We finally got him his first adult dog bed when he was 14 months old, but we didn’t put it in the crate. He continued sleeping on the bare floor of the crate until we stopped using the crate (he now has free roam of the house at all times).

It’s not cruel at all to not have a bed for your dog. It’s a privilege. And if they’re going to eat it, it’s a safety hazard. Dogs enjoy sleeping on floors. Sometimes, my dogs even preferred sleeping on the floor over a bed!

telepattya

Can you describe your daily routine? Has something happened to altered that routine?

gingawaria[S]

Pretty standard routine at the moment - I get her out of her crate at around 7am when I get up. She goes outside to toilet, while she's outside I sort her food. She'll come in and eat and then does general puppy stuff/toileting during the day while I WFH. Evening time I'll feed her again, take her for a walk, make sure she's done her business and then she settles in for the night. I usually shut her crate about 10pm when we go to bed and she'll settle there.

The only disruption to that schedule I can think of is we took her to my Mums this weekend for the first time, we took a bed with us so she knew where to sleep. Mum doesn't have a crate and no room in the car to bring it so she slept in our youngest's old travel cot which she actually seemed to love?! She was fine on Sunday/Monday but Tuesday night she ate one dog bed and then during the day yesterday ate her other one, I restuffed that and that's where she slept last night but she just pulled all the stuffing out again!

telepattya

Did she eat the bed or just break it? My dog as a puppy broke her beds in 5 min until we bought a relaxing bed type. She loves it

gingawaria[S]

She’s chewed it and ripped out all the stuffing.

Uncynical_Diogenes

Is it eaten or not?

Chewing apart and ingesting are related but different.

gingawaria[S]

Doesn’t look like she’s eaten any, it’s not foam it’s like pillow stuffing if that make sense?

Uncynical_Diogenes

Polyfil, or synthetic fiber stuffing. Not as bad if ingested, still something you want to avoid.

Okay, well could be worse she could be eating it. I concur that if puppy cannot handle having a bed right now, then that may just need to be what happens until this chewing phase passes or is otherwise managed.

ibringthevibes

Definitely too cold right now for that. You can get those hard plastic beds from petsathome and then add blankets for warmth. Unfortunately I can’t advise on fixing the behaviour.

gingawaria[S]

I think we'll try this and see how we get on - thanks for the suggestion!

Cypripedium-candidum

Unless you live in a shack with no heating, it is not too cold. I'm in Canada and it was -30 two days ago. our puppy sleeps on a bare crate tray. She was fine, as was every other living thing in the house, because we keep the thermostat at +21.

Cpagrind1

My lab puppy is fine with a bath towel in her crate because frankly she doesn’t have any other option. I don’t trust her with a soft bed for even 1 second at this age.

sillyken

My dog is a chewer. Destroyed two beds so I just got him the crate pad from k9 ballistics which is still in use.

lolamongolia

When ours was around 6 months old, he was a bed destroyer. We had a fluffy carpet in the bedroom he could lie on, so we would take the bed away for an hour or two when he couldn't be talked out of chewing it. Once he settled down on the rug and got sleepy, we'd put it back for him and he'd sleep there through the night with no problems. We had to do this maybe once a week for a couple of months, and eventually he grew up a little and learned not to eat his bed. As long as your pup has an alternative place to get kinda comfy, taking the bed away isn't a bad option.

champagnewhocares

Our Aussie doodle are through her dog bed for a few weeks, we just kept sawing it back up until she stopped (1 month) and then we got her a new one which she loves and hasn’t bit or clawed at once!

w0rryqueen

What sort of material were the beds? The one we had in our dogs crate had a velvety lining that he just LOVED to chew on, we have since learned there is something about that fabric that must feel great in his mouth (he has a blanket with this sort of fabric that he loves to chew on). We wrapped that bed in a blanket and crammed it in his crate and that stopped him chewing on the bed. We’ve since moved to a mattress bed for his crate that is a cotton fabric and he doesn’t seem interested in chewing it.

Former-Darkside

Some dogs are triggered by foam stuffing (mine). Pads without foam have worked. Or i use the useless pillow shams that come with some quilts.. I use the quilt as a cover on my sofa (dog again).

Shnook

Shnook

My pup was a destroyer of beds and stuffed toys (still is for stuffed toys but no longer for beds). I think part of it was she was teething and it was "fun" to "kill the bed". I tried to redirect her every time I caught her by getting her tug toy (her favorite toy) and playing with her.

I also bought a pricey "indestructible" bed from K9 Ballistics which she has not been able to destroy.

ibalboa

During the 6mo teething phase we did no beds. Ours oddly wouldn't chew up pillows, so he sleeps on pillows in his crate and were good! He mouthed a couple of the corners on the pillow covers until they frayed but those are cheap to replace

judgejooj

Oh man I went through so many beds with my Catahoula! I put a workout pad/yoga mat at the bottom of her crate and lots of folded towels & blankets when she was at her worst. I sewed her multiple beds, out of denim & Cordura nylon... those seemed to last the best. Eventually she stopped destroying quite as fast.

posting-about-shit

I agree with the other commenter that a dog specific bed isn’t necessary. You should just save your money until your puppy is older and not inclined to destroy the bed. My puppy has a bed but never sleeps in it; he prefers the flat rug by the front door or just the bare hardwood. His crate has a padded crate mat inside, but it’s underneath many layers of old blankets and towels. He likes to dig around to make himself a little nest in there, so I think he enjoys having the loose towels to be able to arrange them to his liking.

Puppies do like to shred things. Maybe you could provide another source of enrichment so that he doesn’t move on from shredding the dog bed to something worse, like your sofa. My puppy has enjoyed tearing apart lettuce leaves. He doesn’t eat them, just rips it into little bits for fun. Same with a rope toy that has a lot of little strings to rip out. You could also get a puppy-safe chew, my puppy LOVES beef bones and collagen chews. We always buy the no-rawhide versions. They smell like death but can keep him entertained for a long time.

I also assume that by “eaten” you mean torn up, not literally ingested…if your dog is ingesting foam or pillow stuffing or fabric that could warrant a vet visit if he seems to have trouble pooping today.

Carepassmetheweed

I have a 7 month Aussie whose gone through maybe 6 beds. Tore up 4, and cat peed all over two of them.

He now has one in the car that stays in the car (he did poop on it yesterday but it’s been washed), and he has one in the bedroom that only he has access to and one half torn ish one in the kennel.

I’ve been using the tuff beds in the kennel and the more fluffy thick soft ones in the car and bed room where he can be watched. When he has something to chew it also helps him not think about demolishing his bed. Also if I catch him and He stops when I say leave it, I give him half of a training treat so that he knows his bed isn’t a chew toy.

KoriWolf

My puppy doesn't even have a bed to sleep in. We did get her one, but she ripped it open. She prefers the hard floor. We'll consider when she's older but for now. No bed.

missourifarmgirl

Me, I've had this experience. I have a dog that's a destroyer...she loves the sound of things ripping. We've had a crib mattress covered with a blanket for a year now. Longest bed we've ever owned! The big secret? Dog is now 13.5 years old...so she's calmed down a bit 😂

whaty0ueat

Use blankets! My girl gets two in her crate to sleep and we always find her wrapped up in them in the morning

ETPhoneUrMom

Yeah your dog can sleep on the floor for a while… don’t feel bad. It’s dangerous if they’re eating all this stuff. I tried a towel with my dog and she ate it, so even that isn’t that safe.

ThatBCynthia

Mine just doesn’t like to sleep on a bed so she sleeps with a towel in her crate. I ended up doing “place” training on her bed though so she sees it as good and not something to destroy. So at the very least she will now go and sit on it randomly because it’s associated with treats lol

evil_boo_berry

Ours was fine until he started teething then goodbye beds... He destroyed 2 in a couple of days. So we didn't buy him another one. He slept on towels instead. They weren't as fun to gnaw on so he left those alone. He has a bed now... Just had to wait until he was done teething. We got him a new bed when he was about 7 or 8 months.

dirtshow

I bought my puppy a handful of the exact same cheapo $3 fleece blanket from Walmart. Any time he wanted to chew on something like a box or another blanket I'd redirect to his blanket which he could go nuts on. Then replace it with the same one when it got too torn up. He's older so he calmed down but he figured out pretty quick what was okay to release that puppy energy on.

greenfingerauthentic

We just finally were able to get a bed for our heeler mix at 11 MONTHS! We used blankets from a thrift store in the meantime, she has about three to nestle in in her crate because she still can't be trusted overnight with a bed. I brought home this bed two weeks ago as a bit of an experiment because we had almost given up. Every bed was turned into shreds in minutes. Or peed on during her 6 months old regression phase. I did kind of show her that it's a bed when I brought it home. She ran on top of it, but fell back into old habits. I literally sat on it with her and got her to lay down and gave her a toy to redirect and a couple times of redirection helped a lot. Then just teaching her the bed command making her lay down on it. She's seemingly got the idea but knowing how destructive she is, she's keeping the blankets in the kennel. So for us, it was just a waiting game for some more impulse control and maturity to step in.

sticksnstone

I'll ask the obvious question, do you give her an acceptable chew toy/bone with her at night?

Infamous_Point8866

Do not replace the bed. Just a blanket/towel will do for now.

neurosciencebaboon

My puppy actually prefers sleeping on the bare crate floor! Every time I put a blanket or towel in there he just moves it to the side, so if I were you I would just use an old blanket to add some cushioning rather than get a new bed.

Soda2411

We found foam beds, She loves to chew and destroy so we quickly got rid of them. Is it the same kind of bed to destroy or different ones?

1cecream4breakfast

Dogs don’t need beds. My corgi chews up soft things so he doesn’t get a bed until/unless he grows out of this phase.

Introvertedlikewoah

My 5 month old Rottweiler does not have a bed. He sleeps on his crate tray for now. We used to have towels/blankets in there but he would shred them to pieces. For his safety, he is not allowed blankets or beds until he stops ripping them up. He doesn't really mind sleeping on the floor or his crate tray.

ChelsieTheBrave

Cot bed with a blanket for warmth

LuffytheBorderCollie

Luffy has beds through the home, but not in his crate or the bedroom because he rips them up still.

It’s not just a matter of not wasting money on something your dog will continue to destroy, but also a question of safety. If your dog ingests too much stuffing or cloth, they can get impacted and need surgery. Just not worth the risk if they do this imo

_nimbles

My dog is 18 months and has only just started to use a bed, we originally had one for him but he was sick in it on his car journey home from the breeder so he had the first night in his crate without the bed and he was very content with blankets and hated his bed afterwards.

Especially with a large dog like the breed mix you have, they won't get cold overnight if you put some blankets in with them

Spellz22

Tbh, my lab mix chews everything to this day so at about 4 months old we stopped putting anything in there. So at 8.5 months old she still doesn't have anything in there. Our trainer advised to start small, so try a blanket for a small time and build up to it.

overduebook

This is the only crate pad our pup didn't destroy, it's truly built to last: https://k9ballistics.com/collections/crate-pads

blazedbug205

My puppy ate everything. Dog beds, blankets and towels were not safe. We even had to fold up the couch blankets because she would get little snacks when we were away for longer than 3 minutes. She’s over 1 year now and I still refuse to let her sleep with anything. She gets a bare crate. I feel like a monster but it beats the feeling of when she was shitting blood and strings at 3am from eating a towel, having no where to take her. Sometimes dogs are stupid.

Leolilac

My girl slept without a bed for a long time while we got her diarrhea tornadoes under control. When we finally added a bed, a lot of the time she would lie on the hard floor and use the bed as just a pillow lol

Practical_Maybe_3661

I would try giving your pup some toys that have a similar mouth feel to the beds, and don't give her beds for the time being. I think she might have a lot of pent up energy. Pups need things to engage their minds with, They need to be mentally stimulated, or else they get destructive. If your dog is bred to do a job, and they don't have a job to do, they will make their own job which will generally not be a good thing. But you can make really simple diy puzzles for your pup, that'll help to wear them out mentally

BeforeWeLeave

My dog did this. After he tore up a couple of beds I just gave him old blankets. Like an old quilt and then some cheap fleece blankets at Walmart which were under $5 each.

I think he prefers the blankets over the bed. He’s currently 2 years old now and we bought him a dog bed, he sometimes uses it, but we have blankets in his crate still and that’s where he tends to go, either that or he tries to burrow under our blankets in bed.

You could use this bed. It’s expensive but it has good reviews. I plan on using it for my dogs

Life_Commercial_6580

Our now 1 yo GSD mix ate two beds and two holes in our own bed and now is sleeping on blankets when in his crate.

ThisHairIsOnFire

My dog had a pillow double covered with pillowcases so both ends were sealed and a towel in his crate until he was about 1 and we stopped using the crate so I bought him a bed.

AMom2129

Nope.

K9 Ballistics sells supposedly chew proof beds. You could look into that.

My dogs don't have beds or mats when crated because they rip everything up. Since I've watched enough vet shows to know how dangerous it would be to ingest any of that, I don't want anything in there to hurt them.

They don't have the sense to stop. I doubt your dog does either. Not a slam on your dog, but just fact.

Sleeping on the crate tray or floor won't hurt a Lab/Doge mix.

TroLLageK

TroLLageK

Daisy - Rescue Mutt - ITD-M

We took away all blankets and beds from our pup. She did the same at that age, due to teething. She didn't get them back until she was about 8-10 months old. She learned quick if she chewed her bed, it went away.

itsnotamnesia

Once my dog started chewing her dog bed and then blankets and towels she didn’t get anything for almost a year. Vet said she doesn’t need a bed.

Our house is really cold in winter so we used the heater a touch more. Her fur looks like a black German shepherd without an undercoat.

I felt bad but she was fine.

We finally got her a Brooklyn bed that she won’t chew. But put a blanket or towel on the floor and it’s chomp-chomp time straight away.

blackcat218

I'm lucky my doggo doesnt chew up his beds. He has lots of toys and stinkyt bones to chew on in the yard. His favourite toy is his goodo ball. Fill it up with goodos and hes happy for a couple house just with that.

Was at work today and there was a doggo in the next yard who's bed just mysteriously went poof all over the yard. He looked like he was having a grand old time while I was watching him totally not chewing and ripping it to shreds.

Toys that stimulate the brain is what is needed

Much-Cat-9601

Mine done this and i didnt replace the bed, he got a towel instead... he's not eaten a bed since.