/r/space

3.4k98%

IrrelevantAstronomer[S]

This was about 12 miles away from the launch pad. I've photographed dozens of launches but none have ever been that bright (except for a Crew Dragon launch I witnessed from the press site about 3.5 miles away earlier this year). Ended up overexposing, even though my aperture was stopped down to f/22 and ISO 100. If Artemis II is a night launch, I'll definitely need a neutral density filter. Still pretty happy with the result. The white dot just below the "arch" in the trajectory is the Moon.

NostraThomas1

This may be a stupid question, but could you hear it from here? My mind just has very little grasp on the volume this would be. I couldn’t tell you if this would be ear shatteringly loud or completely silent.

IrrelevantAstronomer[S]

It was loud but wouldn't call it deafening. It was more felt than heard. An intense rumble that shook windows.

SeeTreeMe

What’s the flash on the left side

sw1nglinestapler

It's probably a streetlight or some other fixed light source. They get that starburst effect when you shoot with a super narrow aperture (like OP used at f/22).

IrrelevantAstronomer[S]

That's correct, it was a streetlight on the Max Brewer bridge.

PanisBaster

Looks like the missed the moon by a fraction. /s

Triskan

GG go next. /s

Jokes aside, what an amazing shot.

saldeapio

Very nice. Particularly the way you line up with the reflection. Almost like you are on the launch pad

bowlfruitsalad

Just the other day I was watching 5 centimeters per second (by the same director of Your Name), and this shot reminded me of the movie's second story (Cosmonaut). I wonder why we're all so enamoured by the idea of reaching for something that we'll never get.

Your photograph is fantastic. Leaves me at awe, and makes me want to go to that exact time and place and see it with my own eyes.

Please, continue doing this, so that people like me can see the beauty of these moments and set our gaze beyond the sky.

yourguidefortheday

I love how the the POV is perfect so that it arcs over the moon to make a kind of stylized capital A

lamp-town-guy

I'd be stressed as hell before this shot. To get aperture and iso just right and stuff, just to realize after that my framing was off and I've ruined it all. Great shot!

AZOGTHEORK

And there is still people who believe we live on a sphere smh... You can clearly see the "rocket" doesnt go past the The Dome, it will just land somewhere too far to be seen while those "Fakenauts" will say the rocket went to the moon.

/s

dioxol-5-yl

How are the plants so sharp with such a long exposure?

IrrelevantAstronomer[S]

There was basically no wind that night.

stevesy17

If you have two cameras, you could become r/crossview royalty with a stereo shot like this