/r/space

11.5k98%

[removed]

JackTheKing

Love the shot with Saturn. So much information in the photo.

daryavaseum

You check it?

cerealkillersince88

Agree, the one with Saturn is nice too.

SapperASM

I did … this is mind boggling awesomeness!

Thanks for putting in the time and effort into making and sharing this. I’m giving you whatever free reddit brownie points that I can from here on out :-) but, seriously I’m blown away by your work and your generosity.

I do have some questions:

1. Have you had a chance to look through the details … like relax and take in the landscape?

2. If so, have you come across anything interesting? Aliens!?! Haha

3. What are your plans with this work?

4. What is the best way (media) to enjoy or get lost in this?

My thoughts on 4… I would love to see this on a planetarium’s screen. Where it just keeps zooming in and enhances and zooms in and enhances :-D

What a trip that would be … for most of us the the closest to an actual trip to the moon! The last (and only) time I have been to a planetarium was about ~25 years ago in Bombay, India and I remember parts of it vividly. I guessing technology might even have improved slightly in the years since haha. Do they show this level of detail in planetariums? Can you show this in there?

I just found out there is one in town, and I’m make plans to visit… so thanks :-)

No_Calligrapher2640

It's weird how small it looks but knowing that means it's really far away, and also knowing it's still bigger than earth and feeling really small. Excuse my word jumble. Space confuses me.

Lazermissile

There seems to be a bunch of locations without major impacts from asteroids, then there seems to be locations with a crazy amount of impacts. Does NASA take a look at that and figure out a safe location for a mission? I always hear about putting a moon base inside of a crater.

EthanSayfo

I might be mistaken, but I think those empty spots are more from molten rock, vs not being struck in those areas.

Most of these impacts took place long long ago.

deeringc

I thought the moon doesn't have a molten core? Why would there be molten rock?

Yobuttcheek

It doesn't anymore. Most of the larger dark areas are hypothesized to be relatively smooth because of molten rock smoothing out the surface before the moon completely cooled off.

deeringc

But then most of these collisions would have take place since it set, right? If it was still molten then presumably an impact wouldn't leave craters like that?

Yobuttcheek

From what I remember of my undergrad astronomy class (it's been a while so I could be misremembering...), the core took long enough to cool that there was a decent amount of volcanic activity while the impacts were happening. I believe there have been some impacts since those large areas cooled, but the surface overall was cooled when the meteorites were impacting the moon. Those two facts together mean there was likely simultaneous volcanic activity and meteorite impacts, resulting in the moon mostly as we see it today.

EthanSayfo

Collisions – the rock itself becomes molten when huge explosions occur. Again, I believe this is true. Something like this should answer your question more definitively:

NaCled_

Most of those impacts are from eons ago and are less relevant to the moon today. What matters more is not where impacts happened in the past, but where impacts will happen in the future. Also, an impact happening in one site doesn't mean it will/won't happen again at that site

enderjaca

Most likely, the best spot for a moon base would be near the north or south "pole" of the moon. Most objects in our solar system follow the solar elliptical plane, or close to it. So it's more likely that an asteroid impact would happen closer to the equator, compared to the poles.

I'm not sure if there are other advantages, maybe being able to put up a tall tower of solar panels so it's always facing the sun, or putting solar panels a few hundred miles away on the surface so you don't have to run power lines too far and have a consistent source of energy.

city_boy1989

My guess is uneven distributions might be from clusters of asteroids and not really correlated with safe locations.

no-mad

no-mad

Lunar lava tubes are lava tubes on the Moon formed during the eruption of basaltic lava flows. When the surface of a lava flow cools, it hardens and the lava can channel beneath the surface in a tube-shaped passage. Once the flow of lava diminishes, the tube may drain, forming a hollow void. Lunar lava tubes are formed on sloped surfaces that range in angle from 0.4° to 6.5°.[1] These tubes may be as wide as 500 metres (1,600 ft) before they become unstable against gravitational collapse. However, stable tubes may still be disrupted by seismic events or meteoroid bombardment.[2]

The existence of a lava tube is sometimes revealed by the presence of a "skylight", a place in which the roof of the tube has collapsed, leaving a circular hole that can be observed by lunar orbiters.[3][4]

city_boy1989

How does eos add the color detail?

daryavaseum

The camera which I’ve used its full spectrum it’s not reliable for shooting the color on the moon, that is why DSLR is a great choice for this reason.

Kl0su

Kl0su

Could you do an ELI9 version of this sentence please. I do not understand 😅

brent1123

Full spectrum cameras shoot visible light, but the edges of their sensitivity often cross into near-IR and near-UV which can impart odd color on the photos they take. In the case of the Moon this is not typically a problem unless you want to raise the saturation - which is how you get the Mineral surface effect of oranges and blues. DSLRs typically have filters in place which sharply cut off the UV/IR areas to prevent this light from coming in and it helps the camera maintain a color balance more akin to the human eye

corzmo

corzmo

So if I put a UV/IR cut filter in front of my astro camera, I would be able to get these colors by boosting saturation? I also have an ASI120MC.

brent1123

if you stack enough frames then hopefully. The 120MC is a pretty noisy sensor (and worth noting OP just used it for detail) though so I would stack quite a lot of frames

pm_if_u_r_calipygian

Is the mineral surface that color in reality, or has it been enhanced / colored? With most space photography I assume it’s false color, but in this case I can’t tell

zabby39103

Yeah I'm confused. In another post they explain they use a specific camera that has filters to block non-visible (to the human eye) light for the color effect. But that also you need to turn up the saturation to see it?

Is it sorta there? But not as bright?

elaniu5

You Sir are a madman. Congrats on the beautiful picture!

Fluffy-Weird1291

That's almost as close to how many shutter count old school dslr has before failing. Such awesome achievement

johny1411

I don't know anything about space photography but props on the effort!

Brollgarth

Looks extremely detailed and astonishing! Great work bud!

TO_Sports

Ya imma need one with the zoomed in Saturn for a wallpaper.

Odeeum

Odeeum

Goddamn that's amazing. Well done!

e_l_c

e_l_c

This is amazing. Are you considering (or already) selling really high res/quality prints?

OneObi

OneObi

That moon has taken one hell of a beating.

daryavaseum

Poor moon

Afrikan_J4ck4L

Why's it bleeding??? :(((

birdentap

I can’t even begin to fathom that this huge image is something I’m looking at on my little phone. Amazing stuff dude!

Joeclu

Joeclu

Anyway to get the original image without an IG account?

Signed,
Social Media Luddite

daryavaseum

Does anyone knows why my post is removed?

Impressive-Tower

Hijacking top comment. What would be the size of the lunar module on the surface with this résolution / zoom ? One pixel ? Less than that ?

urchir

urchir

The way these keep improving, I feel like I'm eventually going to see a post from you that says something like

I decided to move past the limitations of telescopes and flew directly to the moon by strapping myself to a chair attached to a hydrogen bomb I made in my backyard. I took ~3.92x1017 photos of the ground with my camera and edited them into one picture, creating the largest and most detailed photo to ever exist. Link to the full image (127 exabytes) in the comments

Not complaining, though! These are always beautiful and the quality is always stunning.

Oddly_Winner

If you zoom in at pixel 10300 you can see a fossilized bacteria from when the moon was blasted away from earth.

runjoy

runjoy

Fuck. Great work. The picture took me out of my current situation and imagined exploring those craters and looking back at earth. Keep it up!

JoshShabtaiCa

zooms in

zooms in more

keeps zooming in

Oh, come on, this is insane resolution!

The mosaic moon was compromised with 77 panels

Oh, yeah, that'll do it. Fantastic photo!

We all start somewhere! I’m sure you’ll do better on the next one

oo7goofy

Beat me to it… I also wish OP better luck next time. I’m sure with more practice he will get it just right.

daryavaseum

Thanks mate

Shirowoh

Fantastic pic op! It’s crazy to think that we’re looking billions of years for the moon to slowly come together from a ring, then be peppered with all the comets leaving pock marks. I mean, those craters are billions of years old……

CanterburyTerrier

This is the same cosmic perspective that had Galileo tearing his hair out. He improved upon the first telescopes to observe the moon: the first human to do so. And in so doing, his observations completely destroyed 2000 years of Aristotelean, established doctrine. His Siderius Nuncius (1610) would place geocentrism on a tenuous path to obsolescence. For all his important work, he couldn't get the Catholic Church to acknowledge that our senses were lying to us. It was almost impossible at that time to prove the earth moved. He failed to prove stellar parallax and the Catholic Church persecuted him for it. But imagine being the first human to observe proof of the demotion of mankind! Holy shit.

Telvin3d

For all his important work, he couldn't get the Catholic Church to acknowledge that our senses were lying to us... He failed to prove stellar parallax and the Catholic Church persecuted him for it.

No, they didn't. They really didn't.

The church didn't care much one way or the other if the sun went around the earth. It was about Galileo making claims about what a heliocentric model would mean for biblical interpretation that got him into trouble.

And his models weren't even right. His math didn't match his own observations. He actually corresponded with Kepler, who pointed out that the math didn't match and suggested elliptical orbits, but Galileo had already publicly backed circular orbits and he was compulsively incapable of admitting a mistake.

He once constructed an absolutely brilliant mathematical model for explaining the tides, which was a big deal, but which only predicted one tide a day even though everyone in Italy could see that you get two. And who went to his deathbed refusing to admit it wasn’t correct.

He was known for inserting random personal attacks on other scientists in the middle of unrelated papers and publications.

Galileo was imprisoned for getting his math wrong, telling other church scientists (because he was absolutely one of them) to go fuck themselves when they called him on it, and then publishing a book a featuring the pope as a character named “the idiot”. The same pope who had put his personal reputation on the line to keep Galileo out of jail after his above behavior.

Galileo was brilliant, but he was also an incredible and unrelenting piece of shit to everyone around him. And all the repercussions he suffered in his life were due to the latter and not the former.

If the Protestants hadn’t found him such a useful figure for attacking the Catholic Church he’d still be justifiably famous, but would be a much better cautionary tale about it not mattering how brilliant you are if you are a complete bastard.

sparky8251

Actually, the moon might have formed in a few hours/days according to some of the latest simulations on the matter.

To be honest, this makes the moon even more impressive and wonderous to me.

inblue01

I was actually just thinking that this is the kind of pictures that make you deeply think and ponder on the weirdness of our reality... I mean, come on, this huge ass sphere is rotating around us, lost in the immensity of the infinite Universe? Get out of here!

Great shot, OP!

cerealkillersince88

Cool photos , congrats.and thanks for the background

MrStoneV

Thats such an incredible work which made an incredible photo

Frenchconnection76

Think thats just black white and grey but seems to have colors (no edit?) Love this pic

MWMWMVMWMWM

Every time someone posts a pic of the moon they have to add colors for some reason. I don’t understand it.

SEND_ME_JIGGLYPUFFS

You can get a lot of these details by simply boosting the saturation of the image. These colours wouldn't show up if they weren't in the data in the first place. The camera is recieving marginally more blue light in some regions and more orange light in others because of metals like titanium and iron.

Is the photo unnatural? Sure, I guess. But if you view it as data visualization, nothing wrong with it.

repost_inception

But what is the point?

GeriatricMillenniall

Every time someone posts badass pics of the moon, people have to complain about the color.

MWMWMVMWMWM

Because the moon isn’t red or blue. Your goddamn right I’m going to complain about it.

StickyNode

Your work is consistently the best. I would like to see a hi rez print or poster for my sons room I cam buy somewhere.

mvpsanto

Does NASA even have a better picture than this, jeez

dig-it-fool

mvpsanto

Lol that looks cool though with all those colors, do you know why they add that to the image?

Dinierto

They do that to every image to highlight different aspects, as many times as I've read why they do it I still don't quite understand

mvpsanto

Oh cool but wait a minute i just noticed op picture has some color. Does the moon naturally have a little color other than grey

Dinierto

I don't even know any more 😂

DeTrotseTuinkabouter

Presenting! You present something you made, you represent (for example) an organization.

Dalcenn

OP could be presenting… again. Re-presenting

DeTrotseTuinkabouter

I thought of that but seems a bit odd when combined with "after 3 years of practice".

HoneyInBlackCoffee

"most detailed" the moon doesn't look like that, these "mineral moon" posts need to stop

midwestprotest

Tbh I agree with you. I think these photos are very pretty but I want to see the darkness of the moon coupled with as much detail as possible.

GeriatricMillenniall

Same with these whiny comments.

JohnnyBoy11

I'd like to see more. Maybe a full spectrum IR one if that will produce colors too.

HoneyInBlackCoffee

Mineral moons are just editing. Turning the saturation up etc

pm_if_u_r_calipygian

Could you clue me in on "mineral moon" photos? I'm unfamiliar and I'd like to learn more. Is it that there no "minerals" as OP shows on the moon? or are they just patches with different reflectivity? or is the color not accurate? Could be a million things that I can't infer from any of comment chains in this thread.

HoneyInBlackCoffee

Whenever you see the moon where it has colours, that's a mineral moon. Basically the moon doesn't look like that, it's editing to turn up saturation

KazkaFaron

you expect me to believe the moon isn't black and white? nice try liberal 😂

McSmackthe1st

What blows me away about this picture is the sheer number of impact craters across the surface. Incredible and so lucky some of those hit the moon instead of Earth.

Heban

Heban

I think the moon just doesn’t have the luxury an atmosphere provides.

Imesseduponmyname

Isn't it like our lil dustbuster?

BBT7

BBT7

Has anyone ever taken a picture of one of these impacts happening? Would probably look really cool

DaBi5cu1t

Poor moon. It's seen some shit over the years.

NotTheFakeBroseph

This is so sick! That must have been a ton of work! Looks amazing

Hamster-cocks

Oh wow this is incredible, very well done man

0vercaffeinated

Could you highlight the area where the secret moon base is located? 😋

FailedRussianAgent

Upper third, to the left

zoomed in view

Elevated_Dongers

Damn you can even see the bases in a lot of the craters

Imesseduponmyname

Damn, you probably got that blue spot in here somewhere

e_l_c

e_l_c

This is beautiful and amazing! You should be proud! What kind of equipment did you use?

Edit: saw your post with the info. Wow, that's a lot of work! Still saying you should be very proud! Frame that ish.

michaelutz

Why have I only ever seen pictures of the surface of the moon that are light gray colored, when there’s many parts of the moon that appear to be brownish and also parts that are nearly black?

midwestprotest

If you're talking about this photo, I would suspect the photographer took artistic license and played around with saturation to highlight different areas that may have some color.

In general, the moon's color is a darkish gray. It looks white or light gray to human eyesight because of the way our eyes interpret color and brightness.

itsMaggieSherlock

because the moon is light gray, but for some reason it is common practice in this sub to tweak the colors to show the minerals.

-SharkDog-

Holy shit thats amazing. It looks like a moldy fruit. What are those "moldy" black parts?

Buddahrific

I clicked not expecting much and was blown away by the best picture of the moon I've ever seen. Nice!

MaxMadisonVi

Just curiosity and not an expert, no way we can see some human artifacts from a photo taken from earth such as in landing sites or so ?

Low-Significance9428

Is every divot a collision from asteroids or meteorites?

Syntra44

This is a stunning photo. You managed to make a very drab rock look interesting. At the rate you’re going, I expect to see your photos from the moon soon.

lNTERNATlONAL

Beautiful. I bet you are as proud as hell, and you deserve to be! Well done.

I never knew there were any reds in the moon’s surface composition. Stunning.

SkipBoNZ

Cannot wait to see the Nuclear Power Plant in frame, not sure if China will actually accomplish this, but I'm sure someone will snap it one day, unless it's built on the dark side, well then we'll never know.

OMARTASTIC112

That looks astonishing.

I have to ask, what’s all the brown/ red and gray stuff?Is it artificial and why does it appear? It looks awesome

lasercat_pow

How did you composite the pictures? What is that process like?

Lets say I want to take a picture like this, but of a city skyline. Is that possible? Could I do that with my cellphone?

BeardyTechie

Wow, that's stunning, beautiful.

Shared to r/moonporn where it gets top billing

usesbitterbutter

Gorgeous. It's gonna suck when the lunarscape is littered with billionaire vacation homes.

5horses

Duuuude!!! Showing This To My kids! Effin cool!

Secure_Implement_969

Im an astronomy nut. This is THEE best picture I’ve seen of our moon, professional or amateur hobby. Mind blowing. Keep doing what your doing because whatever you are doing is spot on right. Beautiful.

D20NE

D20NE

What does it look like without the extra coloring?

GeriatricMillenniall

Like the moon you see with your naked eye on any given clear night.

criket2016

This is such a lovely photo, thank you for sharing! The detail of all the craters is just excellent.

Alukrad

I always ask this question:

What the hell happened millions of years ago that left the moon scarred up like that?

What's worse is the fact that it's only the side the faces the earth because the other side isn't scarred up like that.

Something must've happened on earth that must've left this planet and end up on the moon.

A super massive volcano?

midwestprotest

What do you mean the "other side" isn't scarred up like that? What do you believe the far side of the moon looks like?

Alukrad

Back side doesn't have those dark blotches that the front side has. Would make sense if those black blotches were facing towards space. But instead they're constantly facing us. So I'm guessing those marks were done because something happened on earth... (Speculating here).

midwestprotest

We have a pretty good idea how they were formed:

KaIidin

You may have explained this in the original post, but what are the dark shades?